mercredi 23 janvier 2013

THE CAMP DAY !



 My last day of internship at the Boys and Girls Club was pretty different from all the other days that I had before there. The reason was simple; I was with another group for the camp day. Children in this group were older compared to the group that I was used to be with. They were between 8 to 10 years old which is a big difference compared to the group I was before, where they were between 3 to 5 years old.

  Another difference is that, half of the group were Francophone and the group of little friends were completely Anglophones. I knew at this moment that I will be useful because the two supervisors, Kimberley and Adam were Anglophones. As I thought, I was extremely useful because I did a few translations simply because they didn’t know how to explain or to say something in French. I felt very smart. We did an activity where the children had to mime what was written on a little piece of paper. Unfortunately, all the words were written in English so those who didn’t understand French had difficulties to know what to mime. The good thing in that is that I was there to help those who spoke French only, so I was translating the word in French and I was explaining them what to mime, etc. While I was doing that, I learnt a word. It may sound weird but the word was ‘’Juggling’’, I ask Kimberley what’s that meant and she did a gesture of someone who was juggling (‘’quelqu’un qui jonglait’’).
  It was really nice to see all the children playing together. As they were playing, they were also learning because they were associated words to gestures so they were learning words in the language they were not speaking.

  I think I’m now more fluent in English when it is time for me to speak with children because there is always something to talk with them and also, they are not using an enriched vocabulary so it’s easier for me to communicate with them and to understand what they are saying. Moreover, the adults were not talking to me a lot, even less in English, so I learn more to communicate with children then to communicate with adults.

  I still have difficult to pronounce a few words in English. For example, when it is time for me to say ‘’I ate’’, I pronounce ‘’I hate’’ so sometimes it brings to a few misunderstandings. I also have difficulties to pronounce my ‘’Ed's’’ at the end of the verbs, same things with my ‘’s’’ at the end of plural words. That’s a thing I will need to work on.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire